'Still in our thoughts' ...Remembering popular speedway rider, Danny Ayres, who passed away one year ago today
- Credit: Archant
IT is 12 months ago to the day that Danny Ayres passed away.
The popular speedway rider who rode for Mildenhall Fen Tigers and was set to race for Ipswich Witches in 2020, took his own life on February 1 last year. He was just 33 years old.
"Danny is still in our thoughts," Ipswich promoter Chris Louis said. "And always will be. We were going to dedicate last season to his memory, but as we didn't race, we will be doing so this year."
The Witches' race suits will have a dedication of Danny's race number (#15) on them this season.
Danny was born in Bury St Edmunds and had just sealed his dream move to ride with the Witches having previously captained Mildenhall in the National League before his untimely death.
On Friday, February 14, last year, Mildenhall hosted his funeral at their West Row track.
It began with the hearse doing a poignant lap of the track, followed by his team-mates on their bikes.
- 1 Man dies following collision on A12
- 2 'Cook changes it for Ipswich... I never thought it would happen for them before' - Gillingham boss Evans
- 3 Mouldy scone leads to bakery firm being fined £9k for hygiene breaches
- 4 'I have a clear style of play... that will be evident from day one' - Cook on Town's identity
- 5 'Landmark' refusal of 18 homes in Suffolk village aided by community
- 6 A134 to close for resurfacing works taking drivers on 4-mile diversion
- 7 Filming for new TV detective thriller to take place in Suffolk
- 8 New collision beams 'catching drivers out' at Suffolk's 'most bashed' bridge
- 9 Owner on 'sad' decision to close popular restaurant
- 10 'We've got to aim for the stars' - New boss Cook on his Ipswich Town ambitions
Speedway fans across the country will always remember Danny Ayres for the entertainer he was.