'Still in our thoughts' ...Remembering popular speedway rider, Danny Ayres, who passed away one year ago today
- Credit: Archant
IT is 12 months ago to the day that Danny Ayres passed away.
The popular speedway rider who rode for Mildenhall Fen Tigers and was set to race for Ipswich Witches in 2020, took his own life on February 1 last year. He was just 33 years old.
"Danny is still in our thoughts," Ipswich promoter Chris Louis said. "And always will be. We were going to dedicate last season to his memory, but as we didn't race, we will be doing so this year."
The Witches' race suits will have a dedication of Danny's race number (#15) on them this season.
Danny was born in Bury St Edmunds and had just sealed his dream move to ride with the Witches having previously captained Mildenhall in the National League before his untimely death.
On Friday, February 14, last year, Mildenhall hosted his funeral at their West Row track.
It began with the hearse doing a poignant lap of the track, followed by his team-mates on their bikes.
- 1 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 2 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 5 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 6 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 7 'Selection is down to the manager' - Town CEO Ashton on Norwood's absence
- 8 Charlton boss Jackson on Bonne's 'point to prove', Addicks' interest in Pigott and Cook's sacking
- 9 Battle of the caretakers, good omens and McGreal's possible rejig... Charlton v Ipswich
- 10 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk ahead of Storm Barra's arrival
Speedway fans across the country will always remember Danny Ayres for the entertainer he was.