Anthony Ogogo: I want to win pro debut in style on Amir Khan bill
- Credit: PA
SUFFOLK Olympian Anthony Ogogo has said that making his professional debut on the same card as boxing superstar Amir Khan in England is a ‘dream come true.’
The Lowestoft middleweight, 24, will face an as yet unamed opponent over four rounds on April 27 at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield.
At the top of the bill, former world champion Khan will battle Julio Diaz at welterweight in his first fight back in England for nearly two years.
Ogogo, who won bronze at London 2012, said: “I’m proud to be British and so the opportunity to turn pro on such a big fight card in England is a dream come true.
“I want to become a world champion but this is the first very important step.
You may also want to watch:
“I know what I have to do and that is to win and win in style.
“I can’t wait to show the British public what I can do and will be training as hard as I possibly can between now and April 27 to get myself in the best shape I’ve ever been in.”
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
Richard Schaefer, CEO of the Oscar De La Hoya-led Golden Boy Promotions, which is promoting the show, said he was excited about the event.
“April 27 is going to be a great night for boxing in the UK and a great night for Golden Boy Promotions,” he said.
“Between Amir Khan returning home, where he is immensely popular, and the pro debut of our newest prospect Anthony Ogogo, this is a great way to jump start an amazing run of fights that Golden Boy Promotions will be a part of in England for many years to come.”
Ogogo captured the imagination of the country on his dramatic road to bronze in London, beating world champion Ievgen Khytrov in a huge upset along the way.
- Tickets for the event went on sale today and are priced between £50 and £300.
They can be bought at the Motorpoint Arena box office, online or by calling 0114 2565656.