Anthony Wordsworth preparing for another season with U’s
ANTHONY Wordsworth, the U’s players’ player-of-the-season, and the club’s leading goalscorer, sees no reason why he won’t still be at the Essex club again next season.
Other clubs might be tempted to sign Wordsworth during the summer, especially Championship outfits and some bigger League One clubs, but the midfielder still has another year left on his contract.
Wordsworth explained: “I’ve got another year at Colchester. It’s up to the gaffer, and I don’t see why I won’t be here for another year.
“I feel like I’m getting better and better as a player, and I’ve managed to get a bit of consistency this season.
“I’ve got used to playing in central midfield, and feel comfortable there. My fitness levels have also improved.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m now looking forward to next season, and seeing what I can do. Hopefully, we can keep a few of these guys who are out of contract.”
Midfielder Wordsworth, who passed 150 league games this season, notched his 13th goal of the campaign at Meadow Lane in Saturday’s 4-1 defeat to Notts County.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 8 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 10 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
He continued: “When my free-kick hit the post, I thought maybe I wouldn’t get another chance, but it came really late on in the game.
“It’s nice to finish top goalscorer, from midfield as well, so I’m pleased with that. I’ve managed to get into the box over the season and get on the end of a few things.
“It’s not been a bad season, for us anyway. We’ve had a real good go at the play-offs, but we fell just a little bit short of that.
“Overall, 10th is not a bad finish for us. We just drew too many games in March, and couldn’t manage to finish things off. At the time I thought we had a real chance of making the play-offs.”