Arsenal close to signing Dutch defender
THOMAS Vermaelen will have a medical at Arsenal on Friday - the 23-year-old has claimed - ahead of putting pen to paper on a reported four-year deal with The Gunners.
THOMAS Vermaelen will have a medical at Arsenal on Friday - the 23-year-old has claimed - ahead of putting pen to paper on a reported four-year deal with The Gunners. (Setanta)
Ajax centre-back Vermaelen has been tracked by Arsene Wenger's side in recent weeks, with differing reports stating various stages of progression in his proposed move.
The Belgium international revealed recently there would be further talks over a switch to Emirates Stadium, although there has been a delay in the advancement of those negotiations due to the player's vacation.
However, he has now explained he will travel to London at the end of the week to complete some of the formalities of his transfer.
You may also want to watch:
“The signature is not there yet, but everything is in order,” Vermaelen told Gazet van Antwerpen.
“On Friday I will fly to London to undergo a medical. Then I hope to sign.”
- 2 ‘Inadequate’ private hospital closes after patients ‘put at prolonged risk of harm’
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Town face 'red tape' wait over Celina
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 7 Cook on whether he's missing the influence of Richardson
- 8 Your favourite pub, restaurant, café and hotel in Suffolk revealed
- 9 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces three Wembley dates as part of = world tour
He continued: “I feel so proud. Arsenal is a fantastic club, and as a child I watched them play.”
A fee of �11 million has been mooted as persuading Ajax to part with their defensive talent, who scored four goals in 31 league appearances last season as the Amsterdam outfit finished third in the Dutch Eredivisie.
“On Friday, if I go to Emirates Stadium I will be seriously impressed,” he said.
“This will be a big change in my life, next year I will suddenly be facing the best strikers in the world.
“This does not scare me, I will give everything my body has.
“This is one of the best days of my life.”