Arsenal to battle Spurs for Cana
ARSENAL target Felipe Melo has signed a one-year contract extension at Italian club Fiorentina tying him there until June 2013 - with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger switching his focus to Spurs target Marseille skipper Lorik Cana.
ARSENAL target Felipe Melo has signed a one-year contract extension at Italian club Fiorentina tying him there until June 2013 - with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger switching his focus to Spurs target Marseille skipper Lorik Cana. (Daily Express)
Cana - who is also a Tottenham target - said: “The door remains open for a departure, even with three years remaining on my contract.
“I will talk with my family and my representatives. It will then depend on what I want to do. Of the possible destinations in the future, England and Germany are the two leagues that attract me the most.”
Cana is a fans' favourite at Marseille, but wants to show he can compete at the highest level. Defensive midfielder Melo, 25, who helped Brazil win the Confederations Cup in South Africa on Sunday, has been linked to the Gunners and Inter Milan.
An unspecified escape clause has been inserted into the Melo deal.
Arsenal have given professional contracts to four members of their successful FA Youth Cup team, defenders Luke Ayling, 17, Craig Eastmond, 18, Cedric Evina,17, and goalkeeper James Shea, 18.
- 1 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 5 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 6 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 7 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 8 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 9 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia
They have also released eight more, including Portugal Under-21 midfielder Amaury Bischoff and Rui Fonte, the striker on loan at Crystal Palace last season.