Arsenal to battle Spurs for Cana
ARSENAL target Felipe Melo has signed a one-year contract extension at Italian club Fiorentina tying him there until June 2013 - with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger switching his focus to Spurs target Marseille skipper Lorik Cana.
ARSENAL target Felipe Melo has signed a one-year contract extension at Italian club Fiorentina tying him there until June 2013 - with Gunners boss Arsene Wenger switching his focus to Spurs target Marseille skipper Lorik Cana. (Daily Express)
Cana - who is also a Tottenham target - said: “The door remains open for a departure, even with three years remaining on my contract.
“I will talk with my family and my representatives. It will then depend on what I want to do. Of the possible destinations in the future, England and Germany are the two leagues that attract me the most.”
Cana is a fans' favourite at Marseille, but wants to show he can compete at the highest level. Defensive midfielder Melo, 25, who helped Brazil win the Confederations Cup in South Africa on Sunday, has been linked to the Gunners and Inter Milan.
You may also want to watch:
An unspecified escape clause has been inserted into the Melo deal.
Arsenal have given professional contracts to four members of their successful FA Youth Cup team, defenders Luke Ayling, 17, Craig Eastmond, 18, Cedric Evina,17, and goalkeeper James Shea, 18.
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 8 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 9 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 10 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
They have also released eight more, including Portugal Under-21 midfielder Amaury Bischoff and Rui Fonte, the striker on loan at Crystal Palace last season.