Arsenal youngster set to feature for Ipswich Town Under-21s today
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy is ready to supplement his squad ahead of their Championship promotion push with some talented young loan players from the Premier League big guns.
Interest in Leeds United striker Billy Sharp has cooled, Manchester United forward Nick Powell is not deemed to tick the right boxes, former Crystal Palace loanee midfielder Jonny Williams has suffered an injury set-back, while tabs are being kept on the potential availability of Leicester striker Chris Wood.
But with owner Marcus Evans not willing to break his strict wage budget, and McCarthy conscious of not upsetting the team spirit he has carefully forged, it’s more likely that a small squad will be supplemented by one or two borrowed youngsters from highly-rated top-flight academies.
The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal and Manchester United Under-21 matches have all been regularly scouted of late and that Arsenal centre-back Semi Ajayi will feature for the Blues in an Under-21 match against Cardiff City at Playford Road this lunchtime (kick-off 1pm).
The 21-year-old Nigerian has featured on the bench for the Gunners four times this season, was recently on trial with Sunderland, and is out of contract in the summer.
You may also want to watch:
First-teamers Paddy Kenny, Teddy Bishop, Darren Ambrose and Cameron Stewart are also set to feature for Mark Kennedy’s side this afternoon, while young right-back Kyle Hammond will make his long-awaited comeback following the knee injury he sustained last March.
Town’s extensive scouting network continues to monitor Scottish and Irish football closely, as well as the lower leagues, though there is no rush to make signings with the ‘emergency’ loan window staying open well into March.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 3 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 8 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
Following a blank weekend, the scheduled match with Brighton having been brought forward due to the Seagull’s involvement in the FA Cup fourth round, Ipswich now prepare for Saturday’s visit of lowly Wigan to Portman Road.