Athletics boss won’t rule out Chambers from Olympics
UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee has not ruled out taking Dwain Chambers to the London Olympics as part of the sprint relay team, should the 33-year-old be successful in overturning a lifetime Olympic ban which has been implemented by the British Olympics Association (BOA).
Four years ago Chambers was unsuccessful in challenging the BOA bylaw that prohibits athletes guilty of serious doping offences from competing at future Games and therefore missed out on Beijing.
However, following the Court of Arbitration for Sport’s ruling earlier this month that US athlete LaShawn Merritt can defend his 400 metres title in London, Chambers may have some light at the end of the tunnel.
Van Commenee said: “At the moment nothing has changed compared to the last few years. If things do change then I’ll make a decision the same day and we’ll look at Dwain’s track record and make a decision when necessary.”
Meanwhile, former Olympic heptathlon bronze medallist Kelly Sotherton, Andy Baddeley, Jemma Simpson and Germaine Mason have all been omitted from lottery funding for 2011/12 under UK Athletics’ World Class Performance Programme.
You may also want to watch:
Sotherton, who won bronze in the 2004 heptathlon in Greece said: “This news does not come as a major surprise to me and it is not a setback to my ambitions and I am very grateful for the support that UK Athletics has offered me up until now.
“I still hope to compete at the Olympics next year and, once I am there, I have every confidence of producing a performance that will do myself and the nation proud.”
- 1 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 5 'It could do us the world of good... it brings everyone down to earth with a little bit of a bump' - Cook on Millwall loss
- 6 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 9 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 10 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk