Atletico set for Town visit
MATEJA Kezman could make his Atletico Madrid debut at Portman Road, writes Derek Davis.The Serbia and Montenegro international striker last night completed his £5.
MATEJA Kezman could make his Atletico Madrid debut at Portman Road, writes Derek Davis.
The Serbia and Montenegro international striker last night completed his £5.3m move to the Spanish giants, who are being lined up by Ipswich Town as pre-season opponents.
Although details have yet to be confirmed the EADT understands the Blues hope to entertain Atletico Madrid on Saturday, July 30.
Kezman joined the Spanish side from Chelsea and will link up with highly-rated Spanish international striker Fernado Torres.
You may also want to watch:
Former Chelsea and Birmingham star Jesper Gronkjaer joined them last season and more big signings are expected during this transfer window.
The Spanish league starts later than in England and the Ipswich friendly will be one of their first pre-seaon games, which could mean Kezman's first competitive outing in their red and white strip.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 4 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 5 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 8 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 9 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
Atletico finished 11th in the Primera Liga last season and reached the semi-finals of the King's Cup. Their failure to qualify for Europe cost coach Cesar Fernando his job but former Boca Junior boss Carlos Bianchi has since taken over.
They have won the Spanish title nine times, are former European Cup-Winners Cup champions and were losing European Cup finalists in 1974.
Atletico's arrival at Portman Road would represent a second mouth-watering pre-season friendly for Ipswich fans with Scottish champions Rangers in town on Tuesday, July 19.
In between those games Joe Royle's side are due to make a trip to Hungary to play two games and are also scheduled to play Cambridge United and Boston United before rounding off their preparations at Colchester United's Layer Road on August 2.