Barcelona want Liverpool keeper
BARCELONA are set to push Rafa Benitez's patience to the limit by launching a bid for Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina. (Daily Mail)The European champions have already been met with resistance in a move for Anfield midfielder Javier Mascherano - but Lionel Messi has stepped up the pursuit by inviting his friend to the Nou Camp.
BARCELONA are set to push Rafa Benitez's patience to the limit by launching a bid for Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina. (Daily Mail)
The European champions have already been met with resistance in a move for Anfield midfielder Javier Mascherano - but Lionel Messi has stepped up the pursuit by inviting his friend to the Nou Camp.
Benitez has insisted neither Mascherano nor Real Madrid target Xabi Alonso is for sale and now he faces a raid for is 26-year-old keeper.
Barcelona are moving for Reina after contract talks with Victor Valdes broke down yesterday. The treble winner has a year left on his contract and wants to be paid the same �150,000 a week that midfielder Xavi gets.
You may also want to watch:
But the club and his agent Gines Carvajal suspended talks indefinitely with Barca not prepared to go above �100,000 a week.
The Catalans are working on a number of options but have identified Reina as the safe choice, according to Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo. They believe he would cost at least �17million but could force a move if he declares a desire to return to Spain four years after leaving Villarreal.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 7 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 8 Two people injured after car flips over in east Suffolk
- 9 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
Messi has also tried to coax his Argentina team-mate Mascherano into pushing for a move, despite Benitez insisting even �50m wouldn't tempt him to sell.
Reina earlier this month insisted his future was at Anfield. If Barcelona fail to sign him, Fiortentina's French goalkeeper Sebastien Frey has been mentioned as an option in Italian press while �10m-rated Villarreal keeper Diego Lopez and Athletic Bilbao's Gorka Iraizoz are also on their radar.
A �5m swoop for Spain Under-21 keeper Sergio Asenjo is close, but Barcelona are likely to want the option of a more experienced recruit as well. The 19-year-old Valladolid keeper is wanted by Fiorentina, but his agent Zoran Vekic says he would rather stay in Spain.
Barcelona could hold Valdes to his current contract while Asenjo acts as understudy, but would be tempted to try to cash in with reported interest from Manchester United.