Barker back for Witches!!
- Credit: Archant
Ben Barker is back in a Witches race suit and will lead the team at Edinburgh Monarchs in tonight’s crucial Premier League clash.
Ben Barker is back in a Witches race suit and will lead the team at Edinburgh Monarchs in Tuesday night’s crucial Premier League clash.
That’s the incredible news that greets Ipswich ‘Sackers’ Witches fans as their No.1 star rider has declared himself fit to return to track action, just two weeks after being told his season was over.
Barker, 25, was involved in a track crash at Birmingham on August 29 when an initial diagnosis of crushed vertabrae suggested his season was finished. However, as was reported in the Ipswich Star and EADT yesterday, it has transpired that as the days wore on, surgeons were not sure whether the injuries were old ones – and with that no surgery took place.
Now Barker has said he will race again.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a hard two weeks since my crash. I was 20 minutes away from a major back operation before we found out it was an old injury which was partially healed over the past year,” said Barker.
“After much discussion and advice I have decided not to have an operation but I will be having extensive physio for the remainder of the season.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 6 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 7 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 8 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 10 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
“I’m surprised I must admit, I thought there was no hope of Ben racing again this season,” Witches director of speedway Chris Louis said. “Ben’s been given the green light, or more likely the amber one knowing him, but it’s just great news for our fans and for the team.
“He wanted to return to the team tonight at Edinburgh and I’m all for that. He’ll be at Foxhall on Thursday if all goes well at Edinburgh.
“Of course he needs to ride himself back to a bit of fitness. But knowing Ben it won’t take him long.”
The Witches travel to Edinburgh tonight with Barker at one and Joe Jacobs riding at reserve, with Ritchie Hawkins still not fit.