Barnsley 1 Ipswich Town 2 match report – Super subs McGoldrick and Waghorn score in comeback win
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
David McGoldrick and Martyn Waghorn both scored after stepping off the bench at half-time to secure Ipswich Town a come-from-behind 2-1 Championship win at Barnsley and keep up a perfect start to the campaign.
The Blues were outplayed in the first half at Oakwell and fortunate to go into the break only 1-0 down courtesy of Tom Bradshaw’s 15th minute header, with Bartosz Bialkowski making four fine saves and Joe Garner also clearing one off the line.
Mick McCarthy switched from a wing-back system to 4-4-2 and introduced McGoldrick and Waghorn for young duo Tristan Nydam and Myles Kenlock at the break.
The changes gave Town some added impetus and McGoldrick’s fine left-footed volley, following Jonas Knudsen’s cross, levelled the scores in the 53rd minute.
Waghorn, playing out on the right, then produced a cool touch and finish to turn the game on its head in the 70th minute, Town holding on to make it three successive wins at the start of a campaign for the first time since 2002.
You may also want to watch:
BARNSLEY (4-1-4-1): Davies; McCarthy, MacDonald (cpt), Jackson, Pearson; Williams; Hammill (Barnes 78), Potts, Moncur, Hedges (Payne 76); Bradshaw (Ugbo 57).
Unused subs: Townsend, Pinnock, Mowatt, Bird.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 3 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 5 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 6 Driver arrested after 12-year-old boy 'seriously injured' in crash
- 7 'Has to go' - Town fans on Chambers' future, play-off hopes and who they want to see play
- 8 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 9 Plans to build bungalow in pub garden refused after number of objections
- 10 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
IPSWICH TOWN (5-3-2): Bialkowski; Iorfa, Spence, Chambers (cpt), Knudsen, Kenlock (Waghorn 46); Skuse, Downes (McDonnell 75), Nydam (McGoldrick 46); Garner, Sears.
Unused subs: Gerken, Woolfenden, Rowe, Celina.
Attendance: 12,009 (870 away)