Webster injury could open door for Cotter’s Ipswich debut
- Credit: Archant
Injuries to Luke Chambers and Adam Webster could open the door for young Irishman Barry Cotter to make his Ipswich Town debut against Barnsley tomorrow night.
Chambers is expected to miss the rest of the season after dislocating his shoulder and fracturing a rib and his sternum in Saturday’s loss to Brentford while Webster is a doubt due to a hamstring strain suffered in training today.
Cotter, signed from Limerick on transfer deadline day, has impressed in training and with the club’s Under 23s and the young defender could be in line to play a part at right back against the Tykes.
“Adam Webster’s strained a hamstring there today, we think he has and he came in from training so he’s a doubt as well,” McCarthy said.
“He’s in the squad,” McCarthy added when asked about Cotter.
“He was in the squad anyway and he’s probably in the squad with a better chance now.
You may also want to watch:
“I think he’s done really well in training, he’s done well in games and is certainly physically tough enough, athletic enough and powerful enough to cope with it.
“Technically - we might get the chance to see but I’d have no problems playing him.”
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing
- 7 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Crash between two motorbikes
- 10 Bonne on Chantry life, Town tears and meeting his heroes