Ipswich Town loan young Irish defender Cotter to Chelmsford City
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town defender Barry Cotter has joined Chelmsford City on loan for a month.
The Irishman hasn't featured for the first-team since the end of the 2017/18, having burst onto the scene with an extremely impressive display in the 1-0 victory over Barnsley which proved to be Mick McCarthy's final game in charge of the Blues.
He's had to make do with Under 23 football since then, but will now get a taste of the first-team with the National League South side.
Cotter had previously trained with Swedish second division side GAIS alongside compatriot Aaron Drinan, who subsequently joined the club on loan earlier this summer.
When asked about Cotter recently, Town boss Paul Lambert said: "He has to impress me, that's normal, any footballer has to impress a manager that comes in and Barry falls into that category, you have to impress me to show me what you can do.
You may also want to watch:
"(Armando) Dobra's done it, forced his way through, Bailey's (Clements) done it, forced his way through, Idris (El Mizouni) has done it, forced his way through. You have to force your way through as a young player."
Chelmsford currently sit 14th in the sixth-tier of English football and face Eastbourne Borough this weekend.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 3 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 9 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill