‘It was the best day of my life so far’ - Cotter reflects on impressive Ipswich debut
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Barry Cotter has described his debut against Barnsley on Tuesday night as the ‘best day of my life’.
The 19-year-old Irishman, signed from Limerick for £50,000 in January, put in an excellent display on the right side of the Ipswich defence, showing a calmness and composure belying the fact his senior experience previously consisted of just 11 starts in his homeland.
He showed his ability on the ball too as he made runs forward, sprayed 50-yard passes and got forward well before being substituted before the hour mark.
Cotter received a standing ovation as he left the field while fans also vented their displeasure at McCarthy’s decision to remove him early, before the young defender saluted the North Stand at the final whistle.
“(Tuesday) was a very proud day for my family and I making my full professional debut in the EFL Championship under Mick McCarthy’s Ipswich Town FC,” he wrote on Instagram.
You may also want to watch:
“Words can not describe the respect I have for him buying me from Ireland and giving me the opportunity to go out on such a big stage and express myself so soon.
“It has been a pleasure working for him and TC, Thank you for giving me the best day of my life so far and would like to thank the fans for welcoming me with open arms and for the standing ovation at the end.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
“Also happy to have started my career with a three points at home!”