“I’m sure the fans are delighted’ - Bialkowski agrees new Ipswich contract to 2020
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski has agreed a new contract with the club.
The Polish goalkeeper, who has twice been named the club’s player of the year, was the subject of transfer interest from Crystal Palace during the January transfer window but has now committed his future to Ipswich.
His contract had been due to expire in the summer, although the club held an option to extent that for a further year which was always going to be taken.
But his long-term future has now been secured and he will sign a deal until 2020 with the option of a further 12 months.
“He was under contract anyway for this season and another year but I guess when that interest came round all of us would have been interested in joining a Premier League club.
You may also want to watch:
“The window is still open, he’s come and he’s said he wants to sign and I’m delighted. I’m sure the fans are.”
When asked if Bialkowski had asked about McCarthy’s future prior to agreeing his deal, the Blues boss joked: “I couldn’t sign him on a three-month contract anyway.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 4 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 5 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 6 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 7 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 8 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 9 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 10 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
“You know what, it’s not about me and it’s about him. As a father figure, and I’m well old enough to be his father, I said ‘sign the contract, get it done’.
“If a Premier League club comes in and they really want you, they come and make a play for you and take you anway.
“Get your contract signed, be happy, he loves it here, loves where he lives. If it changes in 12 months time then so be it.
“He’s still the best player in this league for my money.”