Ipswich Town FA Cup winners Whymark and Sivell help Beccles win walking football trophy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town FA Cup winners Trevor Whymark and Laurie Sivell were back lifting another trophy as they helped Beccles Town to a hat-trick of wins in the Suffolk FA Walking Football Cup, writes Nick Garnham.
The team’s victory in Saturday’s competition at Goals in Ipswich came just two weeks after they narrowly missed out on a national title.
Beccles remained unbeaten as they won all seven of their matches on Saturday, with Foxash finishing as runners-up, after winning five. Their only loss was a 4-1 defeat to Beccles.
The Beccles team included former Town players Whymark and Sivell, who were both at the club when they won the FA Cup 40 years ago, although neither was involved in the final.
Dave Allen, the Beccles Team Manager, said: “This competition has got better and better.
You may also want to watch:
“It is nice and friendly and the camaraderie among the teams is terrific.
“It is nice to win it again, and hopefully we will be back next year to defend it.”
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
Beccles’ success came as no surprise bearing in mind they only lost in the national final of the FA People’s Cup to Fleetwood Town on penalties.
After winning rounds in Ipswich and Peterborough, the team qualified to take part in the national finals at St George’s Park in Burton upon Trent.
There they played a total of six games to reach the national final, but lost 4-3 on penalties following a 0-0 draw against Fleetwood.
Suffolk FA Flexible Football Officer Darren Scoulding, who organised the competition, said: “The Walking Football Cup has continued to be a success, with some familiar faces and some new faces.
“Foxash didn’t enter last year but returned this year and Ipswich Walking Football Club were on tour in Portugal so could not enter last year.
“It is pleasing to see the likes of Trevor Whymark and Laurie Sivell here as they are familiar faces that resonate with people playing against them, and it is not every day that you can say you marked Trevor Whymark!
“We now have around 250 players playing Walking Football each week across the county, and a key stand of our development strategy is to increase the number of players taking part.”