Ben Reece and James Poulson return for Suffolk cricket’s trip to Northumberland
- Credit: Archant
The county are forced into making three changes for the Unicorns Championship match at South Northumberland CC, starting on Sunday.
Missing from the side that lost by 65 runs at Berkshire in the Unicorns Trophy last Sunday will be Darren Batch, Jack Beaumont and Kyran Young.
Sudbury batsman Batch is not able to commit to three-day fixtures while all-rounders Beaumont, who plays for Copdock & Old Ipswichian, and Frinton captain Young are both unavailable.
And with Kent’s Matt Hunn, Matt Salisbury, who took four wickets for Hampshire in their 251 loss to South Africa A at the Rose Bowl, and the injured Matt Wareing all not available, the Sudbury duo have a chance to resurrect their Suffolk careers.
Reece and Poulson are recalled to the side following some impressive performances in the Gibbs Denley East Anglian Premier League for Sudbury this season.
You may also want to watch:
Reece has not featured for Suffolk so far this season, after doing so regularly during the last two campaigns, while Poulson has not played since August 2015.
Suffolk coach Andy Northcote said: “James’ stats for Sudbury could not be ignored for much longer this season. The reports I have received say he has bowled really well and knows his ability inside out.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 3 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 7 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 10 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
“Although only 22, he has heaps of experience and has played regularly for both Oxford and Cambridge MCCU.”
Suffolk will be looking to build upon their performance in their opening Championship fixture, against Buckinghamshire at Bury St Edmunds, earlier this month.
The match was abandoned as a draw after rain ruined any chance of play on the third day with the visitors still trailing Suffolk’s first innings total by 42 runs with only five second-innings wickets still standing.
Northcote added: “I am really keen to get going this coming weekend and believe we have a real chance of coming away with a positive result.”
Suffolk squad: Jaik Mickleburgh, Martyn Cull, Alex Oxley, Ben Shepperson, Michael Comber, Tom Rash, Ben Reece, Adam Mansfield (capt & wkt), Jake Wakelin, James Poulson, Hugo Douglas, Ben Parker.