SIL Senior round-up: Benhall St Mary stay top with win over Cops
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Benhall St Mary maintained their SIL Senior Division leadership with a solid 3-1 win over Coplestonians.
Seb Miller opened the scoring for the leaders before a penalty kick was awarded against Sadler for a foul on Miller and Chris Sillett made no mistake from the spot to make it 2-0.
After the break the Cops keeper Houchill made a series of great saves to keep them in the game but eventually the home side scored again when Wright headed home Ryan Eagle’s cross.
Houchill continued to deny Benhall with saves from Miller and Cook before the Cops substitutes began to cause problems. Will Davies had a couple of shots saved by Darren Warner before Ollie Rumsey was fouled in the area as he burst forward. Driver reduced the arrears from the spot but it was too little too late.
Elsewhere, Henley beat East Bergholt 5-1. Henley took the lead in the 15th minute as Robbie Smythe slotted home neatly for 1-0.
You may also want to watch:
Within five minutes it was 2-0, Byron Tejano holding the ball up well before feeding Clark Bruce to fire home from eight yards. A free kick saw Bergholt back in the game as Matt Chinnery netted the rebound for 2-1.
That was to be as close as they got though, with Tejano, Ross White and Jamie Cowan scoring for Athletic.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 5 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for Suffolk village
- 10 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
Capel Plough recorded their ninth league victory of the season with a 4-2 home win over Leiston St Margarets. Dan Knights gave the visitors a third minute lead but Shaun Webb equalised a minute later, firing home from 20 yards.
Ant Jackson put the Ploughmen in front after 15 minutes before Kieren Lawler extened the lead from the penalty spot after a foul in the area with 25 minutes on the clock.
Another penalty for a foul saw Ian Backhouse pull one back for the visitors but Daniel Alderson made the points safe for the Ploughmen, who remain in sixth place in the league, with the visitors still one place off the bottom.
Finally, Achilles saw off AFC Hoxne 4-0, with strikes from Sean Hanley, Carl McCarthy and Ivan Buxton, plus a bizarre own goal when the Hoxne keeper punched the ball into his own player’s face and it rebounded into the net.