Bent set for Spurs move today
IPSWICH Town will hope to get their summer signings under way this week if Darren Bent, as expected, joins Spurs today.It appears the north London club are on the verge of signing the Charlton man, having agreed to pay an initial £13million, rising to £16million with add-ons, for the England striker.
By Mike Bacon
IPSWICH Town will hope to get their summer signings under way this week if Darren Bent, as expected, joins Spurs today.
It appears the north London club are on the verge of signing the Charlton man, having agreed to pay an initial £13million, rising to £16million with add-ons, for the England striker.
And that means Town will at last be in line to pick up their sell-on windfall of just over £2.5million, enabling them to finally get their hands on Blackburn striker Francis Jeffers, as well as give manager Jim Magilton other options.
You may also want to watch:
Bent is set to sign a five-year contract in a cash-only deal at White Hart Lane after the former Ipswich striker decided on joining Martin Jol, rather than his former manager Alan Curbishley at West Ham.
Bent is believed to have accepted £45,000 a week, which is a considerable drop from the £75,000 a week the Hammers were offering him to sign only two weeks ago, and Spurs also had to resist late attention from Liverpool for Bent's signature, although it is thought the former Ipswich striker wanted to stay in the capital.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 4 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 9 Why are 3,500 homes stood empty in Suffolk?
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
Bent's expected arrival will raise uncertainty over the futures of Jermain Defoe, Dimitar Berbatov and Mido at White Hart Lane, with Defoe appearing to interest Liverpool.