Betting: Ipswich Town v Sheffield Wednesday – Tips for today’s game
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Ipswich Town take on Sheffield Wednesday, at Portman Road, in their final home game of this season (3pm ko). Here a few bets you might fancy.
Both teams to score
Ipswich Town looked powderpuff in attack for a long time, but in recent weeks have found their mojo and posed a constant threat. Mick McCarthy has finally got the balance to his team right with Emyr Huws providing some creativity alongside defensive shield Cole Skuse, Grant Ward an energetic presence in the No.10 role and a forward three of Tom Lawrence, David McGoldrick and Freddie Sears clicking.
Forget last weekend’s 1-0 loss at Rotherham because that was a hugely experimental side. Town have registered only one other blank since the start of February – a goalless home draw with Wolves on March 7.
Sheffield Wednesday have an embarrassment of riches up front. Steven Fletcher and Gary Hooper have struck up a good partnership, meaning Jordan Rhodes and Fernando Forestieri have often had to settle for a place on the bench. With Ipswich having conceded some soft goals this season, both teams to score could be a good bet.
You may also want to watch:
Odds: 9/10 (BetVictor)
David McGoldrick first goalscorer
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 3 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
When on song the silky front man is as good a player to watch in this division as any – and he’s looked back at his talismanic best recently.
He said this week that he needs to be more selfish and concentrate more on playing as an out-and-out centre forward. The front man is desperate to get more poacher’s finishes like the ones netted against Wigan and Newcastle recently.
It’s crazy that 13 players are shorter odds than him to net first.
Odds: 8/1 (various)
Jordan Rhodes to score
Call it an insurance bet! The former Kesgrave High School pupil will always be the one that got away for Town. He’s scored six goals in seven games against his original employers and says he’ll always have a point to prove against his boyhood club after Roy Keane let him go on the cheap.
Last goalscorer may be a better shout given he was on the bench last weekend.
Odds: Anytime 19/10 (32Red), last goalscorer: 5/1 (various)
Ipswich Town 2 Sheffield Wednesday 2
Town have a balanced looking team, the shackles are off and hopefully they can enjoy themselves again – as they did against Newcastle.
Sheffield Wednesday have won five in a row, but they are grinding out results rather than blowing teams away.
It’s all set up for an entertaining game.
Odds: 18/1 (various)