Big cycle rally all set for Mildenhall
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk and the surrounding areas are gearing up for the visit of thousands of cyclists this weekend when the Mildenhall Cycling Rally takes place.
The festival of just about everything cycling will, as usual, take place over the August Bank Holiday weekend (Saturday-Bank Holiday Monday) at Mildenhall College’s Sheldrick Way Site, whose grounds and playing fields will become a temporary campsite for hundreds of caravans, motorhomes and tents.
“The Rally is known throughout the UK’s cycling community as one of the best all-round cycling weekends and it appeals to cyclists of all ages, especially families, said Mark Burchett, chairman of organisers, Mildenhall Cycling Club.
“Although it is important to stress that the event is open to everyone locally as well.”
The event includes a two-day Trade Show (Sunday and Monday) open to the public, which will see new companies exhibiting and trading at the Rally for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
With the popularity of cycling continuing to grow, the Safer Neighbourhood Team of Suffolk Police in Mildenhall will have a presence at the Rally every day.
Part of that will include giving out security advice and the secure marking of cycles, which will be free of charge.
- 1 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 2 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 5 Delays after car crashes into level crossing
- 6 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 7 Mike Bacon: Never delve too deeply into those pre-season results
- 8 Tourists turn to inland Suffolk as coast books up
- 9 Gill on the move again as former Town coach heads to the Championship
- 10 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
Grass-track forms the centrepiece of the Rally, with a full supporting list of grass-track events every day from 12 noon.? Organiser of the grass-track and father of retired World and Olympic Champion Victoria Pendleton, Max, already has more than 70 entries.
Such is the interest from juvenile riders (under-16s) that Saturday’s track programme is devoted solely to them, with the Seniors, including a very healthy number of women entered, contesting the racing on Sunday and Monday.
The highlight on the track has got to be the National 8km Championship that takes place on Sunday, with the winner expected to come from Ben Elliot (VC St Raphael), Martin Smith (Chesterfield Couriers), John McClelland (Agiskoviner CC) and Charles Fletcher (Cairngorm CC).
Other events include the Madison Cyclo-Cross on Monday, combining slick sections of the grass with the adjacent woodland, which provides an early season test for the seasoned riders, while for the novices can still take part and enjoy it.?
There is also a ‘normal’ Cyclo-Cross events for the Under 16’s.