Big three points for U’s, thanks to Clifford’s stunner
Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 0
BILLY Clifford smashed home a contender for goal-of-the-season as Colchester United claimed a vital victory, at the expense of promotion-chasing Yeovil Town tonight.
Clifford broke the deadlock in first-half stoppage time with a fantastic strike, beating keeper Marek Stech all ends up with a 25-yard rocket.
It was the Chelsea loanee’s first goal in professional football, and it might be several more years before the classy midfielder scores a better goal!
Freddie Sears made the game safe by bagging his eighth goal of the season, to put the U’s 2-0 up in the 63rd minute.
You may also want to watch:
The goal was created by a magnificent run from Bradley Garmston. The West Brom loanee shrugged off the challenge of Lewis Young and ran half the length of the pitch, before cutting inside to deliver a cross to the feet of Sears.
And ex-West Ham attacker Sears made no mistake, drilling home from eight yards out to give the hosts some much-needed breathing space.
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
There was no way back for Yeovil, who had won eight and drawn one of their previous nine games. For the U’s, this was a big three points in their quest to avoid relegation.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, Eastman, Garmston (sub Thompson, 79), Clifford, Bond, Porter (sub Drey Wright, 90+2), Sears, Massey, Ibehre (sub Morrison, 86). Unused subs: Gilbey, Compton, Bean, Cousins.
YEOVIL: Stech, Ayling, Webster, Burn, Ralph, Dawson (sub Dolan, 76) Edwards, Upson, Foley (sub Young, 57), Appiah (sub Williams, 64), Madden. Unused subs: Hinds, Blizzard, Stewart.
Referee: Steve Ashton (Staffs)