Big turn-out expected for celebration
A BIG turn-out is assured for a 50th anniversary celebration evening for the Ipswich and Suffolk Youth League.This takes place at Ipswich Town Hall on Thursday, July 19 with the Mayor of Ipswich in attendance along with Martin Head, the secretary of Suffolk FA.
By Elvin King
A BIG turn-out is assured for a 50th anniversary celebration evening for the Ipswich and Suffolk Youth League.
This takes place at Ipswich Town Hall on Thursday, July 19 with the Mayor of Ipswich in attendance along with Martin Head, the secretary of Suffolk FA. Several of the original Ajax side who won the league in its first year are attending, including skipper Howard Osborne.
The league kicked-off in 1957 with eight teams, and seven years ago a merger took place with the Suffolk and Essex League. The coming season will see 58 clubs from Under-8s to Under-18s participating. Five years ago the league were involved in setting up a Suffolk Girls' League.
You may also want to watch:
League president David Routh has been involved since the start as Ajax were sponsored by Achilles, where he was general secretary. He said: “We would like to hear from those who have been involved and would like to attend the evening.”
Tickets cost £5, which include a finger buffet. Routh can be contacted on 01473 255680.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 2 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 3 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 4 Ipswich Town 2-1 Fleetwood Town: Celina's late, late winner seals it for Blues
- 5 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 7 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 8 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 9 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 10 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired