Big turn-out of Trophy winners at Newton Green Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
An experiment to get more trophy winners to turn up for the club’s annual presentations proved a success at Newton Green Golf Club.
A Sunday morning nine-hole friendly encounter, involving men’s and mixed competition winners during the year, meant an increased turn-out, compared with holding the presentation as part of a winter evening annual meeting.
Retiring men’s captain, Lee Prentice, and ladies’ captain, Sally Cade, handed over the awards after a rain-soaked morning’s play, which was followed by a well-attended hot trolley lunch.
Meanwhile, Newton Green GC’s recent Senior Section results are as follows:
Seniors 18-hole Roll-Up (February 28):
You may also want to watch:
1 Terry Scurr 37 points; 2 Alan Monk 34pts on countback; 3 Cos Loizou 34 ocb; 4 Simon Ash 34 ocb; 5 Jim Devereux 34.
Front nine: Kevin Butler 19pts ocb
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 7 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 8 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 North Stander: Bonne's becoming a Blues icon - now we have to start winning
Back nine: Nick Thomson 19pts ocb.
Inter-Club match (March 2):
Newton Green Seniors v Haverhill Seniors (at Newton Green). Newton Green won 4-3.
Seniors Roll-Up (March 2):
1 Derek King 33pts; 2 Trevor Byham 31; 3 Terry Scurr 30; 4 David Jackson 28.
Seniors 18-hole Roll-Up (February 21):
1 Nick Thomson 40pts; 2 Mick Milles 39 ocb; 3 Kevin Knights 39; 4 Jamie Walters 37 ocb; 5 Bill Havers 37.
Front nine: Richardc Lilley 17pts.
Back nine: Trevor Byham 19pts ocb.
Meanwhile, over at Thetford Golf Club, scratch player Iain Yule teamed up with five-handicap Rob Taylor to win the Club’s Winter League trophy.
The foursomes competition involved six rounds, with the four best scores counting, and Yule & Taylor compiled an excellent 144 points, at an average of 36 per round.
Second place went to Steve Burridge and Michael Smith with 137, followed by three pairings on 135 – Norrie Dickson and Brian Youngs, James Camelleri and Dean Scott, and Paul Hensby & Nick Murgolo.
Dickson and Youngs took third place on countback thanks to winning the final round of the competition on Sunday.