Biggest FA Cup win for 85 years as Braintree Town hit seven past Eastbourne Borough

Lee Barnard scores at the weekend

Lee Barnard scores at the weekend - Credit: Archant

The Iron have made it into the second round of the FA Cup for the first time after a demolition of their Vanarama National South Eastbourne Borough at the IronmongeryDirect Stadium on Saturday.

George Elokobi scores for the Iron

George Elokobi scores for the Iron - Credit: Archant

It was also their biggest-ever FA Cup win for 85 years since they beat Felixstowe Town in the Preliminary Round back in the 1931/32 season but it was the manner of this latest victory that delighted manager Hakan Hayrettin.

“I’m delighted for the boys because they took the game by the scruff of the neck right from the first whistle and never gave up,” he explained.

“We created goal scoring chances from the off and this week, unlike last week’s league game against Solihull, they took their chances and what a difference it made.

“I felt we were comfortable throughout, controlled the game, set the tempo and kept it up right to the end,” he continued

Left to right: Michael Cheek, Harry Lee, Jake Goodman congratulate Ollie Muldoon on his goal.

Left to right: Michael Cheek, Harry Lee, Jake Goodman congratulate Ollie Muldoon on his goal. - Credit: Archant

Defensively Iron looked as strong as they have this season and this improvement was helped by the impressive right-back debut of 29 year-old Sean Clohessy, who played 44 games for Leyton Orient last season and has Football League experience with both Colchester Utd and Southend.

“He brings the right experience we need in that position at the current time and I’m pleased the club have allowed me to sign him on permanently as he was a free agent,” said Hayrettin.

Most Read

Barnard, who has his best game in Iron colours, helped himself to two goals in this game, tapping in a close range shot after Simeon Akinola’s right wing lob shot had come back off the post on 68 minutes and six minutes later firing home a penalty after Akinola had been brought down.

In reality this match was over as a contest by half-time because the Iron were so dominant taking the lead on six minutes when Monty Patterson was quick to follow up a lose ball after keeper Lewis Carey had only managed to parry a back post header from Michael Cheek from a fine cross from Barnard.

On 11 minutes Iron added a second when a left wing corner from Patterson was nodded into the net off the woodwork by George Elokobi for his first goal for the club.

The third goal came on 21 minutes when a low 25 yard free-kick from the left by Ollie Muldoon seem to elude everyone as he drilled into the bottom far corner of the net although Elokobi was adamant he managed to get the final touch on the ball to claim the goal.

The visitors did start the second half in a more positive attacking manner but with Iron keeper Sam Beasant handling the ball well so giving confidence to his defenders in front and both Elokobi and Jake Goodman solid in the heart of the back line they never really troubled in front of goal.

Once Barnard had scored his goals and with the Iron continuing to look dangerous every time they entered the visitors’ area it was not surprise they added a sixth goal on 83 minutes and it was that man Elokobi who managed to glance the ball into the net with his head from a corner by substitute Reece Hall-Johnson.

Deservedly for all his creative running and workrate throughout the game it was Akinola who scored the seventh goal two minutes from time when he cut in from the left and from the edge of the area sent in a beautifully curling right-foot shot into the far corner of the net

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter