Birmingham to move for Boyd and Davis
ALEX McLeish reported back to Birmingham City last night after his Old Firm spying mission and told his board they can't afford to buy Madjid Bougherra from Rangers.
ALEX McLeish reported back to Birmingham City last night after his Old Firm spying mission and told his board they can't afford to buy Madjid Bougherra from Rangers. (Daily Record)
Although McLeish was massively impressed by the Algerian defender's performance against Celtic, he was quickly put off the idea of weighing in with a bid after talks with Rangers chairman Sir David Murray.
Bougherra also insisted after Saturday's derby victory he has no interest in moving on again this summer, however, it's likely Rangers would be forced into a rethink should they receive an offer of around �6m for Bougherra who cost just �2.5m 12 month ago.
Having helped Rangers hit the top of the SPL with the weekend victory over Celtic, the centre-back said: “I am not leaving - it is too early. Maybe in two or three years, I don't know.
You may also want to watch:
“I seem to move every year but I am very comfortable here and want to stay.
“I have learned so much here about a winning mentality and know if I stay here I will be a better player.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 5 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
“Before I came here I didn't know what a big club was. Now I know.”
McLeish, though, might yet be tempted to return to Ibrox this summer with a possible bid for Rangers striker Kris Boyd after failing to land the striker in January.
The Blues boss will also battle Wigan and Bolton for the signing of Portsmouth midfielder Sean Davis this summer. (Daily Mirror)