Blackpool 0 Ipswich Town 2 – McGoldrick and Murphy on target as Blues get back to winning ways

David McGoldrick scores Ipswich's first goal at Blackpool. Photo: PAGEPIX LTD

David McGoldrick scores Ipswich's first goal at Blackpool. Photo: PAGEPIX LTD

Blackpool v Ipswich: Goals in either half from David McGoldrick and Daryl Murphy saw Ipswich Town get back to winning ways at rock-bottom Blackpool.

McGoldrick converted from close-range in the 26th minute following Teddy Bishop’s mis-hit shot in the box, the latter then producing a mesmerising run along the by-line before picking out Murphy for the killer second goal just after the hour mark.

It was a generally forgettable affair, but the Blues went about their business in a professional manner to secure their first win in six. Mick McCarthy’s men move up to eighth in the Championship table and have now lost just one of their last 11 matches.

Blackpool, who had new boss Lee Clark in charge for the first time, remain rooted to the foot of the table with just six points from a possible 45. The Tangerines have lost 12 out of 16 matches in all competitions this season.

McCarthy initially made just two changes to his starting XI following last weekend’s 2-2 home draw with Huddersfield. Tyrone Mings – available again following suspension – replaced the injured Jonathan Parr (groin) at left-back, while Stephen Hunt – who had a bitter fall-out with Blackpool during contract negotiations last year – replaced Conor Sammon on the left side of the front three. Jonny Williams once again missed out with an ankle injury.

A third change was then enforced upon McCarthy not long before kick-off after keeper Dean Gerken injured his groin in the warm-up. That meant summer signing Bartosz Bialkoswki was handed his league debut for the club, with midfielder Darren Ambrose filling his spot on the bench.

New Blackpool boss Clark – only appointed on Thursday – made four changes to the side that lost 3-0 at Reading. Francois Zoko, David Perkins, Andrea Orlandi and Edu Oriol were replaced by Joan Oriol, Charles Dunne, Nile Ranger and Tony McMahon. Clark also switched to a 4-4-2 formation, the Seasiders having been playing 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 for much of the campaign.

Most Read

Hunt certainly looked up for the match, having aired his grievances against Blackpool in the build-up, and he struck the crossbar with a fine free-kick attempt from the edge of the box in the eighth minute.

At the other end, Bialkowski made a hash of coming for a deep free-kick delivery and Town scrambled clear McMahon’s resultant corner. Town then had a let off in the 19th minute when Ranger produced an air-kick in the box following Ishmael Miller’s low cut-back.

It was a poor spectacle and the game’s opening goal was a scrappy one. Following a short throw down the left, Mings’ cross was mis-hit by Bishop at the back post. The volley bounced into the ground and fell fortuitously for McGoldrick right in front of goal. Even then he did not connect cleanly with his shot, the ball beating keeper Joe Lewis.

As the old cliché goes, luck seems to go against you when you’re down at the bottom. Blackpool’s players looked deflated and the home crowd were heading for their half-time refreshments a full five minutes before the referee brought the first period to an end.

The standard of footballing fare didn’t improve a great deal after the restart.

Cole Skuse was forced off with a groin injury, replaced by Paul Anderson, while Nathan Delfouneso stung the palms of Bialkowski from long-range. Ten turgid minutes later, Hunt hit the side-netting at the end of a swift counter-attack.

The build-up to Ipswich’s killer second goal was anything but uneasy on the eye though. Bishop collected the ball out on the wide right and embarked on a mesmerising run along the by-line, the teenager dancing his way past three defenders with the ball stuck to his boot before picking out Murphy for a side-footed finish inside the box. It was the Irishman’s eighth goal of the campaign.

Bishop was then subbed to a standing ovation from the away fans in the 69th minute, his work done ahead of back-to-back home games against Wolves and Watford next week.

The game rather petered out after that. Town defended stoutly when necessary and could have added a third towards the end when sub Conor Sammon slid a shot just the wrong side of the post following Luke Hyam’s through ball.

BLACKPOOL (4-4-2): Lewis; Daniels, Rentmeister, Clarke, Dunne (Orlandi 65); Delfouneso (Blackman 75), McMahon (cpt), Lundtsram, J Oriol (Zoko 58); Miller, Ranger.

Unused Subs: Cywka, Mellis, Parish, E Oriol.

IPSWICH TOWN (4-3-3): Bialkowski; Chambers (cpt), Smith, Berra, Mings; Skuse (Anderson 51), Bishop (Tabb 69), Hyam; Murphy, McGoldrick (Sammon 80), Hunt.

Unused Subs: Clarke, Ambrose, Henshall, Bajner.

Referee: Andy Haines.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter