Bob Coleman Third Round round-up
As expected, there were some epic encounters in the Third Round of the Bob Coleman Cup at the weekend.
The ‘game of the day’ between the two ‘heavyweights’ of the competition - Achilles and Grundisburgh didn’t fail to disappoint as Grundisburgh came out on top with keeper Adam Wilson the hero in the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.
The pair now meet again on Saturday in what promises to be a mouth-watering tie in a top-of-the-table league clash.
Henley Athletic, who currently boast a 100% league record in Division One, converted their winning formula into the competition against third-placed Senior side Felixstowe Harpers United with Byron Tejano’s single goal proving decisive.
Fellow Division One high-flyers Bramford United also upset another Senior side as they triumphed past Wickham Market by three goals to one after extra time.
You may also want to watch:
Mid-table Senior side Leiston St Margarets narrowly avoided the same fate as their Senior counterparts after beating Division Two’s Bacton United 89 4-2 after 120 minutes of football.
There was also no upset as Division Two leaders Benhall St Mary bowed out of the competition against Senior outfit East Bergholt United, who, despite riding their luck at times, became runaway winners by four goals to one.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 4 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 8 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 9 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 10 Ipswich Town 0-0 MK Dons: Blues again fail to register shot on target in drab draw
Coplestonians showed even more ruthlessness in front of goal to knock out lower-league opposition as they thrashed Division Four’s Witnesham Wasps 8-0.
Trimley Red Devils came on top in the local derby against Trimley Athletic - thrashing their opponents 5-1 mainly thanks to Daniel Abbott’s superb hat-trick.
Bret Bellamy also netted a hat-trick as Framlingham Town emphatically put themselves in the hat for the next round with a 6-0 win over Ipswich Athletic.
Elsewhere in the competition, Haughley overcame Old Newton 2-1 in a fiercely-contested local derby, Ipswich Valley Rangers comfortably overcame Westerfield United 3-0, and Wenhaston edged past Capel Plough 3-2 in a five-goal thriller.
Stanton also progressed into the last 16 of the competition with an impressive 3-0 away win at Ransomes, while Ipswich Exiles defeated Bildeston Rangers 5-4 after extra-time in a highly dramatic fixture.
Melton St Audrys are already through after opponents Barton couldn’t raise a team while the postponed game between Cedars Park and Crane Sports has been rearranged for January 25.
The draw for the next round is set to take place this Saturday (January 4) with the ties set to be played on January 25.