Bond header wins dire match
npower League One Walsall 0 Colchester United 1 COLCHESTER United won this cagey encounter eight minutes from time courtesy of Andy Bond’s looping header.
This lifeless encounter seemed destined for a goal-less drawing after neither side got out of second gear in a dire opening 75 minutes.
However, Bond popped up to loop home a back post header over keeper Jonny Brain and defender Clayton McDonald from Brian Wilson’s right wing cross in the 82nd minute for his third goal in six appearances.
Genuine goalscoring chances had been few and far between before that point, but the goal sparked the match into life for the closing stages.
Substitute John White was almost an unlikely goalscorer soon after his introduction when he failed to connect with an Anthony Wordworth cut-back from close range.
You may also want to watch:
And at the other end dangerous substitute Darren Byfield – who hit the post moments before the opener – missed a glorious chance to level things after he had rounded keeper Mark Cousins following a poor Kemi Izzet back pass.
Ironically, Colchester’s two victories in the league have now come from what have probably been their two worst performances. John Ward’s side now find themselves fifth in the table.
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 5 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 8 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 9 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 10 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
– Full report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.
WALSALL (4-4-2): Brain; Westlake, Lescott, McDonald, Smith; Paterson, Gray (Byfield 72), Marshall, Richards; Reid, Macken.
Unused Subs: Bevan, Lancashire, Hickman, Bowerman, Geddes, Forde.
Booked: Richards (61).
COLCHESTER (4-3-3): Cousins; Wilson, Tierney, Okuonghae, Baldwin; Izzet, Bond, Perkins; Henderson (Odejayi 62), Wordsworth, Mooney (White 85).
Unused Subs: Beevers, Vincent, James, Heath, Pentney.
Booked: White (87).
U’s Man-of-the-Match: Pat Baldwin
Referee: Mr K G Evans