Bond header wins dire match
npower League One Walsall 0 Colchester United 1 COLCHESTER United won this cagey encounter eight minutes from time courtesy of Andy Bond’s looping header.
This lifeless encounter seemed destined for a goal-less drawing after neither side got out of second gear in a dire opening 75 minutes.
However, Bond popped up to loop home a back post header over keeper Jonny Brain and defender Clayton McDonald from Brian Wilson’s right wing cross in the 82nd minute for his third goal in six appearances.
Genuine goalscoring chances had been few and far between before that point, but the goal sparked the match into life for the closing stages.
Substitute John White was almost an unlikely goalscorer soon after his introduction when he failed to connect with an Anthony Wordworth cut-back from close range.
And at the other end dangerous substitute Darren Byfield – who hit the post moments before the opener – missed a glorious chance to level things after he had rounded keeper Mark Cousins following a poor Kemi Izzet back pass.
Ironically, Colchester’s two victories in the league have now come from what have probably been their two worst performances. John Ward’s side now find themselves fifth in the table.
- 1 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 2 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 3 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 10 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
– Full report and reaction in Monday’s EADT.
WALSALL (4-4-2): Brain; Westlake, Lescott, McDonald, Smith; Paterson, Gray (Byfield 72), Marshall, Richards; Reid, Macken.
Unused Subs: Bevan, Lancashire, Hickman, Bowerman, Geddes, Forde.
Booked: Richards (61).
COLCHESTER (4-3-3): Cousins; Wilson, Tierney, Okuonghae, Baldwin; Izzet, Bond, Perkins; Henderson (Odejayi 62), Wordsworth, Mooney (White 85).
Unused Subs: Beevers, Vincent, James, Heath, Pentney.
Booked: White (87).
U’s Man-of-the-Match: Pat Baldwin
Referee: Mr K G Evans