Boothroyd proud of his players
COLCHESTER United boss Aidy Boothroyd is convinced his side will get back to winning ways sooner rather than later if they can replicate their impressive Easter Monday performance against Millwall.
The U’s may have ultimately lost 2-1 to the league’s most in-form side, but they were roundly applauded off the field at the end after playing some of their best football of the season.
Colchester’s form may read no wins and just three points from their last eight games, but Boothroyd is confident his side can claw their way back into the play-off places over the remaining seven matches.
“You have to take the positives out of it and I thought in the first half we were absolutely superb,” said the U’s boss. “That ranks as one of the top three performances from one of my teams.
“We made a very good team look very ordinary and I’m very encouraged that we can play like that.
“Overall it’s a very dejected dressing room, but I’ve just said to them that if they can do that again then we will finish very strongly.
“I’m very, very proud of my team. They gave their all and as a manager that’s all you can ask.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 4 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 5 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 6 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 7 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 8 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 9 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 10 Bakinson's the 'mini Pogba' who has been a big hit on loan before and will now look to prove the doubters wrong
“Dropping out of the play-off places might take a bit of pressure off us. Spirit and resiliance is now key and we had that in abundance today.
“I’m a firm believer that persistence wins the day. We will be defiant and we will get out of the situation we are in.”