Bopara signs Essex contract extension
RAVI Bopara has signed a one-year contract extension with Essex, taking him up to the end of the 2010 season.The 22-year-old all-rounder put pen to paper shortly before flying out with the England squad on Thursday for their Test series in Sri Lanka.
RAVI Bopara has signed a one-year contract extension with Essex, taking him up to the end of the 2010 season.
The 22-year-old all-rounder put pen to paper shortly before flying out with the England squad on Thursday for their Test series in Sri Lanka.
Bopara enjoyed his best season with the bat to date in 2007, scoring 849 runs at 60.64 in the LV County Championship, 370 runs at 61.66 in the Friends Provident Trophy and 134 runs at 44.66 in the Twenty20 Cup.
The talented all-rounder also excelled in the field, with his 10 wickets at 25.20 helping the Essex Eagles into the Friends Provident Trophy semi-finals before injury ruled him out of the last-four match.
You may also want to watch:
Bopara's consistent form at county level has now earned him recognition on the international stage. Despite suffering bad luck with injuries the Newham-born cricketer now has 19 ODI caps to his name after appearing in all five of England's games in their recent series in Sri Lanka.
His ability to hold his nerve at key moments has resulted in the England selectors showing their renewed faith in the youngster by now selecting him for his first Test tour.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
- 9 Two cars set alight in two different streets
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week