Boro star requests Man City talks
GORDON Strachan's hopes of hanging on to Adam Johnson were fading last night after Middlesbrough's prize asset asked to be allowed to speak to Manchester City.
GORDON Strachan's hopes of hanging on to Adam Johnson were fading last night after Middlesbrough's prize asset asked to be allowed to speak to Manchester City. (Daily Express)
Roberto Mancini leads the chasing pack for Johnson but may have to table a �9million bid for him before Monday's
Winger Johnson scored twice in Boro's Tuesday's 4-1 win at Doncaster and is a target for Chelsea and Sunderland as well. Former England Under-21 international Johnson's contract runs out this summer and although his suitors have each made a �5m offer for him - and finances at the Riverside are tight - that is not enough to tempt Boro to sell.
You may also want to watch:
Gordon Strachan would let Johnson go for �9m but has told chairman Steve Gibson that any hopes of making an immediate return to the Premier League this season would be dashed without his top scorer.
However, any money coming in would fund a move for �4m-rated Celtic striker Scott McDonald. Strachan said: “There is no club who can turn down the right money for a player. But the perfect scenario would be if he stays.”
- 1 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Matchday Recap: It rains goals at Portman Road as Town hit six
- 4 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 'They walked into us heavy' - Cook on 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster