Boss Chris Tracey frustrated after AFC Sudbury drop two points

AFC Sudbury's James Baker (second from right) celebrates with his team-mates after scoring from a fi

AFC Sudbury's James Baker (second from right) celebrates with his team-mates after scoring from a first-half penalty in the 1-1 draw against Chatham Town - Credit: Archant

AFC Sudbury manager Chris Tracey was a frustrated man after seeing his side drop two points against Chatham Town on Saturday.

Tracey, whose side missed the chance to leapfrog their visitors and so stay in 15th place in the Ryman League Division One North table, said: “It should have been three points for us this afternoon.

“The run we had prior to this I knew was going to be hard without experienced players and we didn’t expect to get anything from the games against Aveley, Potters Bar and Grays (Sudbury lost all three).

“Today was pleasing because we had experienced players back and there was a good mix of youth and experience and hunger and desire out there.

“But it was frustrating to have so many good opportunities and only score once and then to let in a poor goal.”

You may also want to watch:

James Baker peppered the visitors’ goal, but could not find a way past Tim Roberts, except from the penalty spot.

But his manager said: “That is the best James Baker has played since coming back after four months out.”

Most Read

Tracey was as perplexed as anyone why referee Tony Goddard did not show Chatham Town substitute Jack Jeffrey a straight red card after he struck out at Sudbury centre back Rhys Darg.

“Their player has elbowed him and the referee said he had but that he didn’t send him off because Rhys tried to get him sent off, and so he has also booked Rhys for ungentlemanly conduct.

“It is difficult for referees and their assistants – I certainly wouldn’t want to be one myself – but refereeing decisions like that affect the result of the game.

“What difference it would have made having to play the last ten minutes with ten men we will now never know.”

AFC Sudbury skipper Sam Clarke, who played for 80 minutes on his comeback after five months out with a broken arm, said he was not surprised to start.

“I had some minutes against Walsham-le-Willows in a friendly on Tuesday and the gaffer told me at training on Thursday to get my head right and see how long I could last.

“Although I have worked a lot on my fitness, you are never as sharp as you would like to be without playing games, but overall I was happy with the way it went.

“I felt we should have got the three points, but I was happy with the team’s performance.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter