Boss Tony Humes and striker Freddie Sears both delighted with Colchester United’s Cup success
- Credit: Su Anderson
Colchester United boss Tony Humes was delighted with his side’s attacking prowess during this afternoon’s 6-3 win at Gosport Borough in the first round of the FA Cup.
Goals from Gavin Massey, Sanchez Watt, Freddie Sears (penalty) and Alex Gilbey put the U’s 4-1 up at the break, with Sears and Sammie Szmodics also hitting the net in the second period.
“There are areas where we can get better at, but there were many good things that we did out there,” enthused Humes.
“It was a great atmosphere, with young players learning to play in this environment and have different experiences.
“The crowd were great all game, for both sides, and it was a real good cup tie. It was another learning curve, though we have got to get better at it in certain areas.
You may also want to watch:
“But there was so much to take for my players out there today. I’m really, really pleased and feel positive with everything that has happened,” added Humes.
Sears boosted his tally for the season to 11 games, with his brace.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 7 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 8 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 9 Historic East Anglian sailing barge to become floating bakery
- 10 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
“I’m now just one off my tally from last season, so I’m happy,” enthused Sears.
“Hopefully, this result will be a good confidence-booster for the team.”
Justin Bennett (2) and substitute Lee Wort scored Gosport’s goals.