Bostik League round-up: Leiston well beaten at Billericay Town
- Credit: Archant
Big spenders Billericay Town continued their fine form against a resurgent Leiston team with a 4-0 home win in the Bostik Premier.
The home side took the lead after just three minutes when a ball into the Leiston area saw Adam Cunnington get in behind the Leiston defence to nod past Marcus Garnham.
Leiston started the second half brightly but fell further behind when Jake Robinson finished well after a good move.
Leiston’s Jack Ainsley then volleyed over when well-placed and home keeper Julian twice saved well from Harry Knights, before Joe Marsden hit the post from a corner.
Billericay put the match to bed in the 76th minute through Robinson yet again, and he sealed his hat-trick with virtually the last kick of the match.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere in the Premier, Needham Market were beaten 2-1 at home by Staines Town, with Ryan Gibbs grabbing their goal, while Lowestoft enjoyed a great away day win at Tooting & Mitcham United, triumphing 5-2.
In Bostik North, ten-man Bury Town held on for a point in a 0-0 home draw with Barking. The West Suffolk side saw Darcy Death sent off after 62 minutes for a dangerous two-footed tackle.
- 1 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 2 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 3 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 7 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
- 8 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 9 Evans returns to Town side for Millwall clash
- 10 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
But they held on with a fantastic defensive showing, with keeper Luis Tibbles making some great saves to secure a point.
Meanwhile, AFC Sudbury lost 1-0 at AFC Hornchurch and Mildenhall Town were felled 2-0 at Potters Bar Town.
The Heybridge Swifts kept their good run going though, returning from Brentwood Town with a 3-1 win.
After going 1-0 down, the soaring Swifts got goals from Kreshnic Krasniqi (38), Ryan Henshaw (70) and a stunner from Juan Luque (83) to secure the points.
Maldon & Tiptree drew 2-2 at home with Essex rivals Canvey Island, having been 1-0 down at the break. Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe and Ryan Gondoh got the goals for the Jammers, although the former missed a late penalty which would have given them the win.
Finally, Witham Town were well beaten, 4-1 at home by Grays Athletic. Corey Davidson got their consolation from the spot.