Bostik League round-up: Tevan Allen grabs a late winner for Bury Town
In the Bostik League Division One North, Bury Town scored in the last minute for a fine 2-1 win at Romford, writes Brian Alcock.
The game was 0-0 at half-time, with Bury’s Darren Mills seeing a straight red card after 33 minutes for a mis-timed tackle. And the match sprung into life early in the second half as the home side went ahead.
Romford came out attacking and on 49 minutes got themselves in front with a quick and slick attack.
Building from the back, a beautiful through ball to substitute Craig Jeaking put him one on one with the Bury keeper Luis Tibbles and he showed a cool head as to finish well.
Bury came back into it, with Ollie Hughes and Cemal Ramadan both going close.
You may also want to watch:
Romford should have gone two up on 72 minutes when Sighiartau was clean through on goal, but Tibbles was out like lightning to put the pressure on and made a great stop.
Bury were fighting hard and kept going and got the equaliser on 79 minutes. A ball into Hughes found the Bury danger man in on goal with just the keeper to beat and he did just that.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Soul-searching, an unleashing and the enemy within - Town travel to Lincoln in search of a win
- 10 Yellow weather warning for heavy rain issued for parts of Suffolk
Bury were finding their game late on and got their reward from a stunning low-driven shot from Tevan Allen to win the game. Allen picked up the ball outside the box and hit the winner on 90 minutes for a hard-fought out victory having played for an hour with ten men.
Also in the Bostik North, AFC Sudbury fell to an exciting 3-2 defeat at Canvey Island.
The hosts took the lead after seven minutes through Craddock, before Alfie Carroll got the Suffolk side level from a Joe Whight cross ten minutes later.
Charles put the home side back in front just before the break but, after a second half where Sudbury stopper Paul Walker made a number of fine saves, the Suffolk side broke away in the final minute and Ollie Peters levelled.
But in the ninth minute of added time Canvey were awarded a controversial penalty, which they duly netted to steal the points.
In Bostik Premier, Needham Market were beaten 3-2 at Dorking – Jamie Griffiths netting both – while Lowestoft went down 6-2 ar Merstham.