Bourne 3 Colchester 2
NE14Hockey East LeaguePremier BBourne 3 Colchester 2COLCHESTER slumped to their fourth defeat of the season to leave them bottom of the table. Colchester came into the game on the back of two draws and two good performances and were hoping for their first win of the league campaign.
NE14Hockey East League
Bourne 3 Colchester 2
COLCHESTER slumped to their fourth defeat of the season to leave them bottom of the table. Colchester came into the game on the back of two draws and two good performances and were hoping for their first win of the league campaign.
You may also want to watch:
It was the hosts that started the brighter and had opened the scoring within the first 10 minutes. The Colchester defence failed to pick up a Bourne forward who slapped the ball in from close range. The goal spurred Colchester into life and the visitors began to play some nice hockey.
Midway through the half Colchester had got an equaliser and a foot hold into the game. Joe Rich made a good run down the right before firing in a cross. Rob Mann got a touch on the ball in the 'D' before a deflection from a Bourne defender's stick sent the ball high into the net.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
Colchester continued to play well and on the stroke of half time went ahead in the game. Richard Sexton beat his man down the right wing before driving along the baseline. Sexton then pulled the ball back to Lloyd Dennis who's first time shot was well saved by the Bourne goalkeeper; however the ball was only cleared as far as Craig Warriner at the top of the 'D'. Warriner fired his shot towards goal with Will Devitt on hand at the back post to tap the ball in.
Colchester were hoping to build on a good first half with some more good play in the second half. However some sloppy play at the back allowed Bourne back into the game as the equalised early in the second half.
Colchester were pressing for a goal that would give them their first win which ultimately caused their downfall as they were hit in the counter attack which left Grant Hibbert exposed and with little chance to prevent the hosts third goal. Colchester continued to press and almost snatched a point in the last minute with the ball just evading Dennis at the back post after a neatly worked Penalty Corner routine.
Hills Residential Man of The Match was Will Devitt for his work rate in the centre of midfield.