Boys from Stowmarket Swimming Club celebrate after Winter League victory
- Credit: contributed
Stowmarket Swimming Club is celebrating the success of its boys’ team in winning the Suffolk ASA Winter League.
Against strong opposition from Deben and West Suffolk, the Stowmarket boys’ A team were the overall champions by 30 points after three rounds of competition.
In an exciting and loud atmosphere at Lowestoft, there were crucial wins for Jack Spain in the 12/13 years 50m butterfly (32.26s) and 50m freestyle (27.76s), Shaun Harrison in the men’s open 50m breastroke (33.22) and 50m freestyle (25.14s), Luca Clarke in the 11 years and under 50m breaststroke (42.13s), Liam Kerry in the men’s open 50m backstroke (29.34s) and Calvin Coe in the 14/15 years 50m breaststroke (34.50s).
The senior boys’ team of Shaun Harrison, Liam Kerry, Ollie Hale and Calvin Coe also won the 50m freestyle relay.
Other good results on the evening came from Ollie Pyle (second in the 12/13 years 50m breaststroke – 36.32s), Manfred Battle (third in the 12/13 years 50m backstroke – 34.10s) and Logan Pyle (third in the 11 years and under 50m butterfly – 38.73s). The junior boys team of Manfred Battle, Logan Pyle, Luca Clarke and Jack Spain came second in the 50m freestyle relay.
You may also want to watch:
With some good competitive swims ,the girls’ A team helped Stowmarket finish third overall on the evening.
Lija Radzuinate finished second in the 11 years and under 50m backstroke (36.70s) and third in the 50m butterfly (39.32s), Lucy Griffin came second in the 11 years and under 50m freestyle (33.60s) and Chloe Long came third in the 14/15 50m backstroke (34.02s).
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 8 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
In the final event of the evening, the mixed eight length cannon, Stowmarket finished second. The girls’ A team included Hannah Harrison, Holly Davies, Chloe Allen, Bethany Skoulding, Amy Davies and Jess Long.
Meanwhile, showing the appetite for competitive swimming at Stowmarket and the commitment from parents, a second team of swimmers from the club travelled to Sudbury to compete in the B team final.
With some good performances and personal bests, the team finished fourth on the evening.
Head Coach, Sylvia Harrison, said: “The boys team have done really well to win the Winter League by 30 points against strong competition. All of the swimmers in both teams have competed well and we look forward with anticipation to the County Championships in March.”