Boys from Stowmarket Swimming Club celebrate after Winter League victory
- Credit: contributed
Stowmarket Swimming Club is celebrating the success of its boys’ team in winning the Suffolk ASA Winter League.
Against strong opposition from Deben and West Suffolk, the Stowmarket boys’ A team were the overall champions by 30 points after three rounds of competition.
In an exciting and loud atmosphere at Lowestoft, there were crucial wins for Jack Spain in the 12/13 years 50m butterfly (32.26s) and 50m freestyle (27.76s), Shaun Harrison in the men’s open 50m breastroke (33.22) and 50m freestyle (25.14s), Luca Clarke in the 11 years and under 50m breaststroke (42.13s), Liam Kerry in the men’s open 50m backstroke (29.34s) and Calvin Coe in the 14/15 years 50m breaststroke (34.50s).
The senior boys’ team of Shaun Harrison, Liam Kerry, Ollie Hale and Calvin Coe also won the 50m freestyle relay.
Other good results on the evening came from Ollie Pyle (second in the 12/13 years 50m breaststroke – 36.32s), Manfred Battle (third in the 12/13 years 50m backstroke – 34.10s) and Logan Pyle (third in the 11 years and under 50m butterfly – 38.73s). The junior boys team of Manfred Battle, Logan Pyle, Luca Clarke and Jack Spain came second in the 50m freestyle relay.
With some good competitive swims ,the girls’ A team helped Stowmarket finish third overall on the evening.
Lija Radzuinate finished second in the 11 years and under 50m backstroke (36.70s) and third in the 50m butterfly (39.32s), Lucy Griffin came second in the 11 years and under 50m freestyle (33.60s) and Chloe Long came third in the 14/15 50m backstroke (34.02s).
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 5 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 6 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 7 Ipswich Town 2-1 Accrington Stanley: Blues fight back to beat scrappy visitors
- 8 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 9 "I love him... I think he’s absolutely brilliant' - Chaplin on Town boss McKenna
- 10 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
In the final event of the evening, the mixed eight length cannon, Stowmarket finished second. The girls’ A team included Hannah Harrison, Holly Davies, Chloe Allen, Bethany Skoulding, Amy Davies and Jess Long.
Meanwhile, showing the appetite for competitive swimming at Stowmarket and the commitment from parents, a second team of swimmers from the club travelled to Sudbury to compete in the B team final.
With some good performances and personal bests, the team finished fourth on the evening.
Head Coach, Sylvia Harrison, said: “The boys team have done really well to win the Winter League by 30 points against strong competition. All of the swimmers in both teams have competed well and we look forward with anticipation to the County Championships in March.”