Braintree boss Alan Devonshire hails his team
Braintree 2 AFC Telford 1
RAINTREE Town manager, Alan Devonshire, was delighted with his side’s efforts in coming from a goal down to gain only their second league win in 12.
Ben Wright’s double strike secured all the points in a game that was mostly scrappy and failed to flow. Not that Devonshire was complaining.
“I’m delighted for the lads,” he said.
“I thought we were the better side throughout and after they scored with their first shot of the day, they didn’t test our keeper much after that.
You may also want to watch:
“We played the tempo we needed to, and deserved it.”
AFC Telford took the lead after just seven minutes when Jay Smith thumped home from 20 yards after a clearance fell to him.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 Warnock on Town target Coulson's absence from Middlesbrough squad
It was a superb strike, but Iron got back into the match just before the break.
Bradley Quinton made strides into the box and went down under a challenge from Ashley Cain.
It looked a tad soft, but the referee was right on the spot and Wright netted the penalty.
With the game never reaching any great heights and chances at a premium, it was Iron who got the vital next goal, again through Wright.
With 13 minutes left on the clock, substitute Matt Johnson curled over a cross and Wright met it six yards out.
AFC Telford keeper, Ryan Young, saved the initial effort, but then seemed to spill the ball in the ensuing scramble, and Wright poked home.
FULL report, more quotes, and picture special in Monday’s EADT