Braintree boss Alan Devonshire hails his team
Braintree 2 AFC Telford 1
RAINTREE Town manager, Alan Devonshire, was delighted with his side’s efforts in coming from a goal down to gain only their second league win in 12.
Ben Wright’s double strike secured all the points in a game that was mostly scrappy and failed to flow. Not that Devonshire was complaining.
“I’m delighted for the lads,” he said.
“I thought we were the better side throughout and after they scored with their first shot of the day, they didn’t test our keeper much after that.
“We played the tempo we needed to, and deserved it.”
AFC Telford took the lead after just seven minutes when Jay Smith thumped home from 20 yards after a clearance fell to him.
- 1 Matchday Recap: How Town's cup defeat to Colchester played out
- 2 Firefighters tackling fire near popular Suffolk hotel and spa
- 3 Town closing in on deal for experienced defender Keogh
- 4 Smoke seen across Ipswich as crews tackle large fire
- 5 Police attending 'incident' near town centre
- 6 'Childhood dream' as opening date nears for Suffolk coastal restaurant
- 7 Popular family-run butchers announces closure
- 8 Buy the bread everyone’s raving about at new Suffolk cafe
- 9 'Quite different to traditional gyms' Suffolk gym with a difference opens
- 10 Farmer 'heartbroken' as land sees fourth fire in 10 days
It was a superb strike, but Iron got back into the match just before the break.
Bradley Quinton made strides into the box and went down under a challenge from Ashley Cain.
It looked a tad soft, but the referee was right on the spot and Wright netted the penalty.
With the game never reaching any great heights and chances at a premium, it was Iron who got the vital next goal, again through Wright.
With 13 minutes left on the clock, substitute Matt Johnson curled over a cross and Wright met it six yards out.
AFC Telford keeper, Ryan Young, saved the initial effort, but then seemed to spill the ball in the ensuing scramble, and Wright poked home.
FULL report, more quotes, and picture special in Monday’s EADT