Braintree Town pay the penalty in FA Trophy defeat to Gateshead
SEAN Marks and Jai Reason missed from the spot as Braintree Town bowed out of the FA Trophy, 4-3 on penalties, against 10-man Gateshead at the Amlin Stadium.
Goalkeeper Tim Deasy was the hero for the north east side, saving the duo’s spot kicks after the second round replay had finished 1-1 after extra time.
Marks had given the Iron an early second half lead, firing home from 10 yards after good work down the left by Ben Wright, but Gateshead equalised just four minutes later - Micky Cummins scoring with a header from a corner on 59 minutes.
The visitors later saw skipper Ben Clark given a straight red card for hauling down Marks but Iron could not take advantage with substitute Chib Chilaka missing from close range in the dying seconds of extra time.
An even first 45 minutes saw both teams test the opposition’s goalkeeper while in the second half, Wright and Yemi Obudabe both squandered late chances that would have prevented an extra 30 minutes of football.
You may also want to watch:
For the full match report and pictures from the game, see today’s East Anglian Daily Times.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 6 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision