Braintree Town plunder five goals against Hungerford
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Braintree Town 5 Hungerford Town 0
Braintree Town went goal-crazy as they thumped five past lower mid-table Hungerford Town to move up to second in the National League South table at Cressing Road on Saturday.
Only leaders Truro are keeping Brad Quinton’s men off top spot, the Iron recording their seventh win from 12 starts to be just a point behind the Cornwall pace-setters.
Despite the nature of the final score-line, the hosts were actually indebted to some fine saves by their keeper Nathan McDonald early on, otherwise the outcome could have been very different.
Fresh from an FA Cup replay success at Royston Town in midweek, Braintree struggled a little early on and McDonald had to be at his best on 14 minutes when diverting Gareth Thomas’ goal-bound volley over his bar.
You may also want to watch:
McDonald also saved well from Louis Soares, before Iron took a grip on the game via Roman Michael-Percil firing a 25-yarder into the top corner of the net in the 31st minute.
Michael-Percil doubled the lead with his second goal of the game just four minutes later, latching onto Phil Roberts’ pass to deceive two defenders and sweep home.
- 1 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 2 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 3 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 4 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 5 Ipswich Town appoint new strength and conditioning coach
- 6 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 7 'He's a proper footballer... hopefully he can stay around us' - praise for Town teenager Humphreys
- 8 Mike Bacon: This Ipswich team has Paul Cook's style stamped all over it
- 9 Road closed after lorry crashes into tree as one person is trapped inside
- 10 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
Iron were 3-0 up at half-time, Roberts lobbing keeper Ward in the 41st minute, and it was 4-0 in the 67th minute, Roberts again on target after Jon Muleba had pounced on an error by Read.
Iron completed the scoring in the 85th minute. Ben Wyatt poked home after keeper Ward had parried Dernell Wynter’s initial effort.
After the match, Braintree boss Quinton said: “I’m delighted with the five goals and the play that led up to them. It was good to see the goals spread around the side.
“But we must also give a bit of praise to Nathan (McDonald) who made a couple of worldy saves to keep us in the game at 0-0. Had we conceded early on, the outcome could have been so different.”
BRAINTREE: McDonald, Muleba, Gabriel, Obamwonyi, Okoye, Mugabo, Allen (sub Bettache, 72), Crook, Roberts (sub Oliyide, 67), Michael-Percil (sub Wynter, 75), Wyatt. Unused subs: Frimpong, Campbell.
- Meanwhile, Chelmsford City were held to a 0-0 draw at third-from-bottom Poole Town on Saturday. The Clarets have slipped to sixth in the table after what was a frustrating afternoon in Dorset for Rod Stringer’s men.