Braintree Town suffer damaging defeat in battle against relegation
- Credit: Archant
National League Torquay United 3 Braintree Town 1 The Iron’s slim hopes of avoiding relegation were dealt a severe blow at Plainmoor when they conceded two second half goals during which time the home side, also fighting relegation, showed far more grit, determination and commitment than the visitors.
After an impressive first half in which the Iron took a welcome lead on eight minutes through a header at the far post by defender Manny Perry they failed to capitalise on their strong performance allowing the home side to equalise through Brett Williams on 41 minutes through lack of defending.
It could have been worse for the Iron because the home side thought they had equalised just prior to Williams’ goal but referee Craig Hicks ruled it out for offside after consulting an assistant.
The second half though was a thoroughly disappointing one for the Iron who time and time and time again showed why they sit in the relegation zone because they lack organisation, leadership and showed no threat in front of the home goal.
The home side, backed by the vocal support of 2,580 home fans, were in contrast up for the fight and had the more determined players who wanted to win the ball every time and win the game.
They took the lead through Williams on 51 minutes and in reality never looked back despite the heroics of keeper Sam Beasant in the Iron goal who four times was left so exposed by his defenders but he managed to save goal bound shots.
The Iron did strike the home crossbar late on but it was power puff attacking and for most of the half they were second best to a much revived home side who were clearly the more determined and up for the win.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
The final humiliation for the Iron came in the 90th minute when the unmarked Jordan Lee scored the home side’s third goal to confirm their deserved victory.
This is clearly the worst Iron side seen in their six seasons at National League level and with just two games to go their status at this level looks seriously in danger.
Braintree Town: Beasant; Clohessy, Okimo, Goodman, Parry; Lee, Isaac, Corne (Barnard 78), Braham-Barrett (Hall-Johnson 66); Cheek, Midson. Unused subs Ashton, Twardek, Farrell.