Bramford start with win at Leiston St Margarets

James Blades scored on his Crane Sports debut

James Blades scored on his Crane Sports debut - Credit: Archant

A review of the opening-day games in the Touchline SIL League.

Senior Division Leiston St Margarets 0 Bramford United 5

A hat-trick by Paul Dodsworth and a brace by R Golding saw Bramford take all the points in their opening match of the season.

Dodsworth opened the scoring on 27 minutes with a volley, before Leiston pressed for an equaliser.

However, on 37 minutes Dodsworth scored his second when a deft pass from Artun saw the striker wrong-foot the goalkeeper.

You may also want to watch:

Leiston were still loking dangerous on the attack but Dodsworth completed his hat-trick from the spot on 57 minutes when Alexander was brought down in the area.

Bramford substitute Golding then added to their woes when within minutes on coming on he found himself in space to round the advancing keeper to score his first goal for the club.

Most Read

Leiston battled on but they lacked a cutting edge up front and Golding scored his second goal when Evans’ through ball released him.

Grundisburgh 0

Crane Sports 3

In front of a large crowd, league champions Cranes were made to work hard for their deserved, if flattering, 3-0 win over a new-look Grundisburgh.

James Blades gave the visitors the lead on 17 minutes, losing his marker to side-foot home Cooper’s corner from 10 yards.

Cranes, with their tails up, nearly doubled their lead when Blades’ clever flick released Alexander, but his cross from the right was missed by Webb.

Grundisburgh responded with Childs corner being cleared to Jackson who drove over from the edge of the box.

With little between the sides, Cranes doubled their lead on 65 minutes, Roper’s long free kick releasing Alexander down the right to burst into the box and pick out Webb who coolly fired home.

On 80 minutes, Matthews’ strong challenge in midfield saw Ingham win the ball ahead of keeper Chaplin and lob just over the bar.

Four minutes later Cranes’ Froud was sent off for an off the ball incident, but in injury-time his side scored a third through Blades.

Westerfield United3

Wenhaston United1

The visitors started well and Craig Stammers saw his shot blocked by Zak Walker, before Sam Horn set uip Luke Dunn at the other end, the latter’s effort going wide.

Stammers gave Wenhaston the lead from a corner, before Lewis Ayres made a couple of good saves to preserve his side’s lead.

Westerfield deservedly drew level when a low cross by Daniel Brkovic was turned past his own keeper by Gary Todd.

Early in the second half Aryes parried Swift’s fierce shot into the path of Horn, who fired the Swans into the lead.

Westerfield made the game safe when Keinzley latched onto Horn’s ball to slot the ball under the advancing ‘keeper to give the Swans three deserved points in an entertaining game well officiated by Maurice Scrivener.

Framlingham Town 3 Stanton 1

Framlingham Town returned to Senior Football victorious.

After a tentative start in the warm conditions, Stanton’s Michael Campbell found the side netting from close range and a crisp shot from Ben Frost was comfortably saved by Gary Rose.

At the other end, goalkeeper Chris Adams gifted Alex Ling a chance with with a poor clearance but the ensuing shot was deflected for a corner.

Stanton lost Tommy Downes when he was hospitalised with a head wound and then nearly fell behind when Nathan Vincent’s 30 yard effort shaved the woodwork.

Framlingham went ahead on 32 minutes when the lively Goddard crossed and Kieren Nicholls slotted home, but Stanton replied 10 minutes later when Michael Campbell fastened on to Jake Hilliner’s perfect through ball and drilled the ball home.

The introduction of Max Willett produced the points when on 84 minutes he released Kieren Nicholls who blasted home and then two minutes later Willett produced a stunning shot to win the match.

Capel Plough 0 Felixstowe Harpers 2

With the weather more suited for cricket than football it was the visitors who took the points after scoring twice in the last 10 minutes.

The first half saw the home side have most of the play with Burn saving three times from Middlebrook and doing well to keep out an effort from Barrett.

New signing Rummens showed his class in defence for the visitors, who came out after the break in a more determined mood and created several chances.

Rummens headed wide, Hobson and White both fired over and Elliston had a free-kick turned over by Williams before he crashed a 25 yard shot against the crossbar.

At the other end, while aBurn saved with his feet from Dorward and Wall hit the crossbar with a right wing cross.

Barrett had a shot deflected inches wide before the home team only half cleared a corner with Hobson shooting home from the edge of the area with 10 minures remaining.

Barrett looked to have been brought down in the area with the referee playing on, despite loud appeals for a penalty from the home side, and the visitors made sure of the points when Fox added a second deep into time added-on.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter