Brennan Dickenson’s brace helps Colchester United to another home win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United 3 Grimsby Town 2
Three first-half goals, two of them from an inspired Brennan Dickenson, helped Colchester United to record their first back-to-back home league victories for 11 months, at the Community Stadium tonight.
Following up last weekend’s 2-0 win over Cambridge United, John McGreal’s men were in irresistible form during the first 45 minutes against dazed Grimsby Town.
Left-winger Dickenson, who had marked his U’s league debut with the opening goal against Cambridge, broke the deadlock with a sweet finish on 10 minutes, following a towering header by Luke Prosser.
Kurtis Guthrie, another of the U’s summer signings, crashed home the U’s second from inside the penalty area in the 34th minute.
And Dickenson made it 3-0 with his second of the night, in the 39th minute, steering home from Drey Wright’s cross.
Grimsby pulled a goal back, inside two minutes of the second half, thanks to a powerful header by Craig Disley, who had come on as a half-time substitute.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 5 Major west Suffolk reopens after lorry and car crash
- 6 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 9 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 10 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
And Omar Bogle drilled home an injury-time second for the Mariners, his shot going through the hands of keeper Sam Walker.
But the U’s held on for the victory.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Prosser, Eastman, Kinsella, Lapslie, Wright, Szmodics (sub Loft, 57), Guthrie (sub Slater, 68), Dickenson, Porter (sub Johnstone, 83). Unused subs: Bransgrove, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Sembie-Ferris.
GRIMSBY: McKweown, Davies, Gowling, Boyce (sub Pearson, 35), Andrew, Bolarinwa (sub Disley, 47), Berrett, Summerfield, Chambers (sub Browne, 83), Bogle, Jackson. Unused subs: Warrington, Vose, Vernon, Jones
Referee: Kevin Johnson (Somerset)
Attendance: 3,287 (446 away fans)