Brennan Dickenson’s brace helps Colchester United to another home win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United 3 Grimsby Town 2
Three first-half goals, two of them from an inspired Brennan Dickenson, helped Colchester United to record their first back-to-back home league victories for 11 months, at the Community Stadium tonight.
Following up last weekend’s 2-0 win over Cambridge United, John McGreal’s men were in irresistible form during the first 45 minutes against dazed Grimsby Town.
Left-winger Dickenson, who had marked his U’s league debut with the opening goal against Cambridge, broke the deadlock with a sweet finish on 10 minutes, following a towering header by Luke Prosser.
Kurtis Guthrie, another of the U’s summer signings, crashed home the U’s second from inside the penalty area in the 34th minute.
You may also want to watch:
And Dickenson made it 3-0 with his second of the night, in the 39th minute, steering home from Drey Wright’s cross.
Grimsby pulled a goal back, inside two minutes of the second half, thanks to a powerful header by Craig Disley, who had come on as a half-time substitute.
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 4 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 5 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 6 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 7 Paul Cook speaks about Ipswich Town takeover for first time
- 8 A14 closed after serious crash between van and car
- 9 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 10 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
And Omar Bogle drilled home an injury-time second for the Mariners, his shot going through the hands of keeper Sam Walker.
But the U’s held on for the victory.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Prosser, Eastman, Kinsella, Lapslie, Wright, Szmodics (sub Loft, 57), Guthrie (sub Slater, 68), Dickenson, Porter (sub Johnstone, 83). Unused subs: Bransgrove, Vincent-Young, Wynter, Sembie-Ferris.
GRIMSBY: McKweown, Davies, Gowling, Boyce (sub Pearson, 35), Andrew, Bolarinwa (sub Disley, 47), Berrett, Summerfield, Chambers (sub Browne, 83), Bogle, Jackson. Unused subs: Warrington, Vose, Vernon, Jones
Referee: Kevin Johnson (Somerset)
Attendance: 3,287 (446 away fans)