Brentwood II 2 Clacton 1
NE14 Hockey East LeagueDivision 3SEBrentwood II 2 Clacton 1 Clacton saw their six game unbeaten run come to an end at Brentwood II. The hosts went in front after ten minutes with virtually the first threat on keeper Mike Key's goal, Brentwood having spare bodies to pounce on the loose ball in the circle.
NE14 Hockey East League
Brentwood II 2 Clacton 1
Clacton saw their six game unbeaten run come to an end at Brentwood II.
You may also want to watch:
The hosts went in front after ten minutes with virtually the first threat on keeper Mike Key's goal, Brentwood having spare bodies to pounce on the loose ball in the circle.
The Seasiders responded well and, when captain Carl Parkes fired in a free hit, Ric Coleman was in the right place to deflect the ball into the roof of the net, however with the umpire uncertain who got the touch Clacton came way with only a long corner.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 10 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
The home side made few forays into the Clacton defence, but when they got a short corner they were able to get the ball past the on running defence and double their lead to 2-0.
The Seasiders continue to play some nice hockey through Alex Mortimer, Steven Key and Coleman down the right, with Colin Hook progressing well down the left supported by Dan Hunn and man-of-the-match Denzil Donovan.
In the middle Jamie Roberts and Parkes snuffed out many of the forward advances from the home side, while the defence of John Hambrook, Nick Key, Peter Wright, and Dan Pritchard tidied anything that got through.
Clacton got one back just before the break when, from a short corner, Parkes played in Roberts to put the ball well beyond the keeper for 2-1.
The second half saw Clacton looking for the equaliser with Steven Key driving into the circle but he was unable to get to the ball after colliding with the home keeper.
Roberts also found the home custodian in fine form when he saw his double effort saved. Coleman also found the keeper from a couple of sweetly struck short corners.
The best opportunity came when Roberts shot wide of the keeper, but Mortimer was unable to get the crucial touch as the home defence threw everything in the way.
The Seasiders felt they had done enough on the day to earn something from the game, but it wasn't to be and they find themselves just outside the relegation zone during the Christmas break of five weeks.
The next league game will be away to Old Southendians on January 19.