Brilliant Joe the star as Fen Tigers pick up the win at Brandon Stadium, Coventry with a last-heat victory to send their fans wild
- Credit: Archant
Joe Jacobs raced to a 15-point maximum as Mildenhall recorded a fine 47-42 victory at Coventry on Friday night.
Jacobs was in brilliant form throughout and only in heat 15 was he headed for a while.
That final race ended up with three riders down, but it was Coventry’s Stefan Nielsen who was excluded, along with Josh Bates of the Fen Tigers.
It left Jacobs to seal victory for the visitors.
Indeed it was Jacobs who got the Fen Tigers off to a good start with a win in heat one while Brendan Johnson won the next.
When Dan Halsey made it a third chequered flag for the Suffolk side, it was a good start for the Fenmen.
Jacobs got the better of his Peterborough partner in the Premier League Oliver Greenwood, but it was still all level before Bates and Johnson gave Mildenhall their first heat advantage of the night.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
However, it didn’t last long and it was soon all square again. But a crucial heat 11 saw Jacobs and Connor Coles take full advantage of Nielsen’s machine woes and at last some daylight was between the two sides, with the Fen Tigers four ahead at 35-31.
Two more drawn heats saw the Fen Tigers go into heat 15 four points ahead and Jacobs did the rest.
Mildenhall: J Jacobs 15, C Coles 3+2, D Halsey 9, C Mountain 1+1, J Bates 7+1, B Johnson 7+1, J Kingston 5+1