Britain draw Sweden in Fed Cup
ELENA Baltacha and her Great Britain team-mates will travel to Sweden to go head-to-head in a Fed Cup World Group II play-off on April 21 and 22.
The side, which also includes Laura Robson, Anne Keothavong and Heather Watson and is led by Judy Murray, beat Austria in Israel earlier this month to give them the opportunity of climbing into the second tier of world team tennis.
Victories over Portugal, Holland and Israel in the pool stages set up the Euro/Africa Zone Group I play-off against the Austrians.
Sweden are seeking an immediate return to World Group II after being relegated last year.
“Sweden’s top two players, Johanna Larsson and Sofia Arvidsson, are similar in ranking to our top two players, Elena Baltacha and Anne Keothavong, so it should be an interesting match up,” said Murray.
You may also want to watch:
“Heather Watson and Laura Robson are very close to them in rankings as well, so we have strength in depth which is a big advantage as the play-offs are best of five rubbers over two days.
“We are looking forward to it as it’s a big opportunity for GB to grab a place in World Group II.”
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 6 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
- 7 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 8 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 9 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
Two singles rubbers will be staged on Saturday April 21 with each nation’s number one player facing the other’s number two, before the two singles matches are reversed a day later.
These will then be followed a doubles match to decide the final score in the best of five rubbers contest.