Brothers open new standing area at Whitton United
WHITTON United stalwarts Russell and Tommy Woodward were proud to officially open the club’s new covered standing area last Saturday.
The 24-metre long covered standing area will house more than 50 spectators and follows on from the opening of their 113-seat stand prior to the start of the season.
With more than 50 covered standing spaces on the opposite side of their King George V ground, Whitton now meet the requirements for Premier Division football of covered accommodation for 200 spectators, of which at least 100 must be seated.
And with the team still sitting proudly at the top of Division One and unbeaten after 14 matches, Whitton are looking a good bet to win promotion this season.
The new covered standing area has been christened ‘The Shed’ after the name of the club’s former clubhouse.
You may also want to watch:
Russell, who is the club’s president, played for Whitton in the 1950s, and has been connected to the club in some way ever since. He was involved with the group of volunteers who originally brought Whitton to King George V playing fields in the early 1930s.
Brother Tommy, who is now 72, first played for Whitton in the Border League when he was 18. He played for a number of other clubs, including Haverhill, but has been Whitton’s vice chairman and is currently on the committee.
- 1 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 2 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 4 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 5 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 6 Mike Bacon: Starting to walk the walk, I'm liking the way we move
- 7 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 8 Two Suffolk homes 30 miles apart struck by lightning
- 9 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 10 'It's powerful' - Harper on Town's use of sports psychology
Russell, who is 78, said: “We were very proud to open the new standing area. It was nice of the club to ask us to do so.”