Brown's heart no longer with the U's
WANT-away defender, Wayne Brown, has insisted that his “head and heart are not with Colchester United.”U's owner and new chairman, Robbie Cowling, issued a statement yesterday, insisting that no offers had come in for Brown, and that the 29-year-old was still very much a U's player.
By Carl Marston
WANT-away defender, Wayne Brown, has insisted that his “head and heart are not with Colchester United.”
U's owner and new chairman, Robbie Cowling, issued a statement yesterday, insisting that no offers had come in for Brown, and that the 29-year-old was still very much a U's player.
Brown has been involved in pre-season training with the rest of the U's squad this week, but reiterated to the EADT last night that he still wants to leave Layer Road.
You may also want to watch:
“It's a strange situation to be in, and to be honest it's not that pleasant,” revealed Brown. “I'm still desperate to leave Colchester United, and I've made that very clear with my chats to the gaffer (Geraint Williams) and Robbie (Cowling).
“I've put in a transfer request, but I haven't heard back from the club whether that request has been accepted or rejected.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 3 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 4 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 5 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 8 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
- 9 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 10 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
“I'm in limbo at the moment. To be totally honest, it's not the situation that I wanted to be in during pre-season.
“At the moment, my priority is looking after myself and knuckling down, so that I'm fit wherever I am next season. I want to do what's best for me and my family.
“I haven't heard of any firm bids coming in, and there's no guarantee what will happen. I'm just hoping that another club comes in with a bid in the next day or two, because my head and heart are not with Colchester United. . I think it would be very harsh if the club stood in my way,” added Brown.
With all the ins and outs at Layer Road this summer, U's supporters will have been hoping that centre-half Brown - who still has a year to run on his current contract - stays just where he is for the new season.
The early indications were that Brown was on his way to Hull City, following strong interest the Tigers and the player's request for a transfer, news which was broken by the EADT.
New chairman Mr Cowling yesterday issued a statement which revealed that Hull had not yet followed up with a favourable offer for Brown, and therefore the defender was still very much a Colchester player.
Mr Cowling stated: “Earlier this month, Hull had certainly given an indication that they wanted to make an offer for Wayne Brown's services.
“It was made quite clear to them that as far as the board of directors were concerned, a move would only be considered if it was right for Colchester United, and we do not believe that to be the case in this instance.
“At this moment in time, there have been no further offers made to Colchester United since that initial inquiry.”