Bru fully fit again, but Middlesbrough game comes just too soon for McGoldrick
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town midfield duo Kevin Bru and Stephen Hunt have both returned to full fitness, but Saturday’s game at Championship promotion rivals Middlesbrough has come just too soon for striker David McGoldrick.
Bru was ruled out of last weekend’s 1-1 home draw with Brentford with a knee injury, while McGoldrick has been missing for the last seven matches due to a thigh problem.
Asked about Bru, Blues boss Mick McCarthy said: “He’s trained today and is fine. He’s back thankfully. In fact we’ve got most of them back. It’s only Luke Hyam (knee), Noel Hunt (knee) and Darren Ambrose (hamstring) now on the injury table. Things have picked up on that score.”
Could McGoldrick play a part against Boro or has that game come too soon?
“It’s a bit soon,” said McCarthy. “He’s had two or three days training with the squad. It’s five weeks on Saturday since he did it so I don’t think two or three days full training is conducive to playing full tilt against Middlesbrough.
You may also want to watch:
“He was certainly better and sharper today. I guess Bolton and Watford are a possibility.”
With Stephen Hunt having made his injury return in Monday’s Under-21 match, McCarthy added: “Typical Hunty, he went and played left-back with no fuss whatsoever. He played well. It was great to see him out there.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 4 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 9 'Managers don't get enough credit' - Walton delighted as Town deliver big win for boss Cook at Pompey
- 10 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for all the latest Blues news.